Monday, November 23, 2009

So what's your REAL job?

Probably the most insulting question you can ask someone in the service industry. I have faced it myself countless times in my many years of bartending and serving and I'm still not sure how to answer. I can't think of many other job where someone would feel OK asking this. I don't think anyone has ever grabbed my librarian friends' arm while she was restocking books and asked her this. I'm almost 99% sure no one has approached the local garbage man and asked him this and I'm pretty sure no one has even asked this of a restaurant owner, cook or chef. So, why is that being a server/bartender does not qualify as a "real job" to most people? Yes, we work odd hours and have ever changing shifts but, last time I checked so do doctors, nurses and airline pilots. We may not have health insurance or paid vacation time but, neither does my hair stylist, massage therapist or any retail worker that I have ever met. There is just something about being a server that makes the public think we are less intelligent, less competent and definitely less worthy of respect which, in my experience, could not be further from the truth. Sure I have met my fill of total d-bags working in restaurants and bars, but I have also met some incredible people who have affected my life in a hugely positive way. I have had the luck of working with opera divas, literary geniuses, actors, accountants, world travelers, interior designers, artists, social workers, mothers, fathers, business owners, Masters degree holders, musicians, care takers and of course, experts in wine and fine dining (Which is so more intricate and complex than you could ever imagine). Back to the question at hand. My REAL job is being a server, a server whose job functions can include being everything from a mom, nutritionist, babysitter, janitor, matchmaker, jester, and therapist. All which I do with a smile. Some of us just really enjoy the food and drink industry and we are good at what we do and when we do our job well we should get the same respect you give to your dentist, mail carrier or bank teller.

No comments:

Post a Comment